Thank you for your interest in working at the Basilica of Saint Mary. Please find available opportunities below. The majority of our open positions are also listed on Catholic Jobs.
Assistant Director of Religious Education
The Basilica of Saint Mary is seeking applications for an Assistant Director of Religious Education.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative support to DRE for all RE programs.
- Assist in coordinating and overseeing major RE events and
- Provide logistical support during weekly CCD (on Sunday
mornings) and RCIA (on Monday evenings) sessions.
- Work with DRE to plan and coordinate faith formation
opportunities for adults.
- Maintain accuracy of sacramental records.
- Order and maintain appropriate numbers of RE materials and
- Assist in planning and overseeing Vacation Bible School during
- Perform special tasks as requested by pastor or DRE.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year university.
- Be a practicing Catholic faithful to the teachings of the church.
- Be proficient in using common Microsoft Office programs,
particularly Excel and Word.
- Be willing to work nights and weekends.
- Have experience with event coordination.
- Have some public speaking experience.
- Be comfortable using external email and signup platforms.
- Video editing a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to Hilary Munger, Director of Religious Education.
Director of Communications & Evangelization
The Director of Communications & Evangelization directs and coordinates the planning, implementation and evaluation of the overall communications efforts of the parish in close conjunction with the pastor. Employing a variety of print and digital media to spread the Good News of the Gospel, they oversee and direct the parish social media, web presence, email distribution list, public relations, and promotion of news and events. They are a visionary with a contagious spirit to see how the parish can be concise, clear and creative in communicating the Catholic Faith in its fullness. This person reports directly to the pastor.
• Practicing Catholic faithful to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Theology or Evangelization
• Strong organizational skills, able to juggle competing priorities
• Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
• Self-starter, able to work independently as well as collaboratively, and enjoys initiating new projects and ideas
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign), Social Media Management Software (CoSchedule, Buffer, Hootsuite), WordPress (or other equivalent website management platform)
• Experience in photography and videography a plus
• Create, organize, plan and implement effective communications messages and strategies for the parish in conjunction with the pastor
• Work with parish staff, apostolate leaders, and volunteers to create an environment in which messages can be communicated clearly, creatively and effectively
• Communicates with parish community via weekly e-newsletter, and monitors email lists for consistency and accuracy
• Responsible for maintaining and updating parish website on a daily basis to ensure consistency, timeliness and quality (familiarity with WordPress a plus)
• Design posters, flyers, banners and brochures that promote parish events and activities
• Create engaging content and distribute across social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube) to create engaging and creative content
• Guide and support parish apostolates leaders through various media to increase awareness, engagement, and participation for activities and events
• Collaborate with bulletin editor to ensure consistent branding and content are maintained
• Capture parish events and activities through compelling imagery (photos/videos) to promote parish life to the rest of the community
• Serve as a liaison with IT company, which includes acquisition of equipment and monitoring and fixing technical issues as needed
• Remain current on creative, communications and technological trends and looks for opportunities to more effectively communicate with the parish family
• Coordinate with the Diocesan Communication Office and Arlington Catholic Herald about parish news and events, when necessary
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com addressed to the Very Rev. Edward Hathaway, Rector of the Basilica of Saint Mary, by COB Friday, July 20. Salary commensurate with experience. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
Youth Ministry Intern
The Youth Ministry Summer Assistant is an unpaid internship. This program is designed for a college student or young adult seeking to give service in ministry, gain Youth Ministry leadership/career experience, and potentially earn college credit.
The exact hours of work will be negotiated with the Directors of the Youth Apostolate. However, a mix of daytime hours plus working events at their given times will be important. The intern is expected to work approximately 15 hours a week, with a mix of office work hours, program hours, and events.
The Intern will primarily focus on assisting the Director and Assistant Director with running youth apostolate programs, such as LifeNite, High School discipleship groups, Ignite, and F3. In addition, the Intern can experience various tasks relating to mailings, website, phone calls, etc.
Example of Hourly Schedule (to be negotiated)
- Monday 1:00pm-5:00pm
- Tuesdays N/A
- Wednesdays 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Thursdays N/A
- Fridays 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Weekends: Intern may be asked to assist at special weekend events.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to Mariane Leite, Assistant Director of Youth and Young Adults.