“From the Archives” — Saint John’s Academy in Wartime

During the Civil War, a number of Alexandria’s schools closed; several were confiscated by the Union for hospitals or other administrative use. However, Saint John’s Academy, the boys’ military school operated by the Carne family of Saint Mary parish, continued to operate throughout the war. In his journal, Richard L. Carne, headmaster for 45 years, described the challenges the school faced after Virginia adopted the Articles of Secession in May 1861. His initial entry says “…the senior class was entirely broken up” early in May. Many students, and their families, evacuated Alexandria, moving south to Richmond and elsewhere to feel safer and avoid living under Union martial law. Other boys were boarding students from the North, fleeing from a war zone. When the school year concluded in June, attendance had dropped drastically, from more than 100 to just 30. Despite the surrounding chaos, Carne reported the school closed “…without disturbances or public experiences of any kind.”

The academy re-opened in September, picking up 39 new students. Throughout the war, Carne recorded progress of the war, noting the impact of nearby battles and the local occupation. When General John P. Slough was appointed as military governor of Alexandria, Carne described the local situation as “a reign of terror.” On September 1, 1862, he wrote: “…the school was forcibly entered by a party of soldiers on orders from Slough.” The outraged headmaster acknowledged it was “…a mistake on the part of [Slough] but it was never countermanded.” Furniture was destroyed or damaged, books thrown around and some items were stolen. The Union soldiers were likely searching for evidence of support for the Confederacy among the gray-uniformed cadets.

Carne noted another incursion when the 8th Illinois Cavalry turned the school’s athletic field and playground into a campground. On the first night they were there, a heavy rain “came down and they nearly drowned out and floated off. They left.” Perhaps Carne believed the skies had dropped down righteousness from Heaven (Isaiah 45:8).

A periodic look at the history of our Basilica of Saint Mary parish since its founding in 1795 Slough proved to be quite effective as an administrator, managing to control the “reign of terror.” He and Carne reached an entente, and Slough’s sons, John P. and Willie, attended the school. Their names remained on the roster until the war ended and Slough was reassigned to New Mexico. Despite the strict limitation on public assemblies and a curfew, Slough allowed the academy to hold its annual graduation and close-of-school ceremonies. In June 1864, the ceremony took place in Saint Mary’s Hall, but without speakers. By then the school’s enrollment had risen to 154 students, including the Slough boys. A year later, in June 1865, as the war finally had ended, the school held a public graduation and Carne thanked General Slough for allowing the ceremony to take place.

— Kitty Guy, Parish Historian

In 2020, to commemorate the 225th anniversary of our parish, we started “From the Archives” as a weekly feature online and in our bulletin to spotlight the history of Saint Mary’s. Due to its popularity, we are continuing the series in 2022. An archive of the features is located here.

Copyright 2025 The Basilica of Saint Mary | Login