Public Masses now offered again at the Basilica of Saint Mary
Revised July 1, 2020 for Phase Three of the reopening plan.
With Northern Virginia implementing Ralph Northam’s “Forward Virginia” reopening plan, the Basilica of Saint Mary is offering public Masses.
Bishop Burbidge is continuing the dispensation from the obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. He encourages those who are age 65 or older, as well as those with underlying health conditions, to avoid attending public liturgies. Please refrain from attending public gatherings and liturgical celebrations if you feel sick in any way or are coughing and sneezing frequently.
Mass Attendance Capacity and Responsible Social Distancing Practices
- Please follow the instructions from our ushers and the posted signs as you arrive to the church. After our Sunday Masses, we ask that you leave immediately after Mass so the church can be sanitized before the next Mass begins.
- Households and families do not need to be socially distant from each other, but they must remain six feet apart from others in the pew. Because of this, every other pew will be blocked off.
- Attendees age 10 and older are required to wear a mask while in the church and Lyceum.
- No hymnals, bulletins, or paper announcements will be available to help mitigate the spread of germs on these types of surfaces.
- Although the bathroom at the back of the church will be open, please refrain from using it if at all possible.
- Weekday Masses at 8:00 am and 12:10 pm.
- Weekend Masses at our regularly scheduled times: Saturdays at 8:30 am and 5:00 pm and Sundays at 7:00 am, 8:30 am, 10:00 am, 11:30 am, 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
- If the church is full upon your arrival for our Saturday Vigil and Sunday Masses, you are invited to our Lyceum Auditorium at 313 Duke Street to watch a live video stream of the Mass. At Communion time, come to the Basilica and enter through the front doors to wait for your turn in line. After receiving Communion, exit through the Saint Joseph/Confessional side doors and return to the Lyceum to watch the end of Mass.
- All public Masses will be live streamed on our website.
- Confessions will continue to be held at our regularly scheduled times.
- Eucharistic Adoration on Wednesdays will begin after the 12:10 pm Mass and will conclude around 8:30 pm.